Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Life imitating art

Cake Window {Seven Cakes} WT

Wayne Thiebaud has created beauty from the ordinary, something many great artists have in common.  The whimsical color choices and unique qualities of his work always inspire me.  For a recent drawing class assignment we were asked to set up a few man-made objects of interest next to a lamp and make record of shifts in value (shade).  I am very green when it comes to both working with charcoal, and attempting to make something look three-dimensional on a 2D surface so I can see hours of practice in my future.  For my first attempt, however, I was inspired by this

{eight lipsticks}

And ended up with this



In comparison to the rest of my class I have a lot to learn in terms of value scale since I somehow completely eliminated anything upwards of 50% saturation (all gray no black) but I kind of prefer a softer look to my drawings anyway.  Oh yeah, I know what everyone else's homework looks like because each week we are forced to display them on the wall for a group critique session. 
 It's exactly what it sounds like.
xoxo,
-C
  
p.s. A lot of the group commentary is actually positive, mostly because people don't want to risk not being bffs by slamming your crappy art.  I really try to learn from the classmate critiques though.  For example, "this drawing doesn't have any space for me to move around in".  Noted sir, noted.  I'll work on that...

No comments:

Post a Comment