Thursday, September 2, 2010

Outside the box


2010 has been a year of trying new things.  It started with enrolling myself in ballet class in February which turned out to be a wonderful and challenging (somewhat impossible) experience. Although I never perfected my pirouette or learned to appreciate pink tights, I did step gracefully out of my comfort zone for a few hours every Saturday.  There have been several other instances in the past 9 months where I have also let my heart lead instead of my fear of failing.  

Most recently though, I decided to take a drawing class.  My local community college happens to have a brand new visual and performing arts center complete with gorgeous buildings and outdoor sculptures made from old instrument cases and wire.  My first class was Monday and the second I arrived on campus I knew I was in the art department.  There were girls with rainbow hair and custom chucks, the boys were tatted, patched up and pony tailed.  I saw fashion forward waifs, chained up rocker chicks, and boys with guitars scattered throughout the lawns.  In my class was a girl wearing a tie with a climber's carabiner laced through her strappy silver heels.  This was a place I could let my hair down. 

During the first lecture my instructor mentioned both Degas and Matisse, two of my favorite artists and also said a few times, "you will not succeed in this class if you're afraid to look like a fool".  This made me nervous at first but later I understood.  What can we accomplish if we are afraid of making mistakes? Inevitably we will.  My instructor proved this point during last night's class by making us practice continuous contour drawing which involves drawing an object without lifting your pencil or even looking at your drawing until you decide it's finished.  We drew our hands so I'll spare you by not scanning my mutant creations and posting them here.  I can honestly say I ran full force into the assignment and thoroughly enjoyed my hideous drawings.  Most people threw theirs away but I think I'll hold on to mine for a few days.

xoxo
  -C   

Janine Antoni (pictured above during a performance art piece)
Butterfly Kisses.
 Cover Girl Thick Lash mascara on paper. 29 3/4" x 30"







No comments:

Post a Comment