Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Feels like home

Coffee shops are around every corner in Santa Cruz, and most of them have a unique personality.  Most of these local establishments are also considered art galleries, study rooms, offices, and social meeting places.  A few months ago I was invited to join a classmate here and instantly loved it, probably because it's just as inviting as a comfy living room.  Near the front door is an old refrigerator painted with pretty flowers which houses a variety of board games and chandeliers are scattered throughout the large, open room.  There are weathered arm chairs, couches, soft pillows, coffee tables and other pieces of mismatched furniture to lounge on.  The artwork is always thought provoking and beautiful, and the music is never too weird.  My favorite part is the patio which is equally homey and lovely despite the fact that it's outdoors.  The Abbey holds some sentimental value to me as well (the aforementioned classmate is now my beau) but I'm sure others can appreciate it as much as I do based on the environment alone. So cozy.
-C

2 comments:

  1. Jessiah Ratliff is staying with me now in DC and told me about his place of employment...the Abby last night. He did not mention how lovely it was.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe the lovelyness isn't as valuable to young men as it is to some? Or maybe he's just gotten used to the place.

    ReplyDelete